Monday 1 August 2016

Weekly Update: July 24 to 30

Weekly word count: over 18k

Boo-ya!  An excellent first week of my writing holiday.  I'm about halfway through Inquisition and things are moving along smoothly.  I'm starting to do some thinking about the sequel and what I want to do with it.  I'm also looking nervously at my draft for Rose on the Grave, the next Spirit Sight short story and realizing I need to get working on it as well, but the priority has to be getting Inquisition back on track.

It's been a rather pleasant set up.  I sleep in until about 7:30, spend some time getting chores done and then by 9, I'm on my computer making notes on the chapters I've done the previous day.  I find this is a good refresher and gets my brain back into the same mindset.  At the end of each chapter, I give myself a little 20 minute break, either on Facebook, Twitter or email or watching Lucifer on TV.  I've been able to do about 3 chapters a day and I'm finishing between 4 and 5, which gives me time to relax and reset in the evening.  I could push it through, but experience tells me that if I continue writing past 7, then it starts affecting my sleep, not to mention not giving me any time with my husband and/or children.  So I think this kind of schedule would be a good long term balance.

It's made me wish that I could afford for this to be my full time job.  If I could keep up this kind of pace, then I would be able to put out 2 books a year (depending on how I could fit editing into this).  I feel happy and energized at the end of the day, eager to get back to the story the next day.  It's going to be really hard to go back to my day job after next week.  But for now, I have another week as a professional writer and I intend to enjoy every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment