Monday 15 August 2016

Weekly Update: August 7 to 13

Weekly word count: 5100

It's been a little strange going back to only writing part time.  I'm so close to the end of Inquisition and yet it's remaining stubbornly out of reach.  I'm hoping that by next week's update, I'll be able to report a finished manuscript.

This week I received my scores from the PRISM and RITA contests.  (Prism is the contest for the Fantasy, Futuristic and Paranormal Romance chapter and the RITA is the main contest for Romance Writers of America.)  Although I didn't final in either of them, my scores were respectably high, which is encouraging.  I got one 9.5 out of 10 for the RITA, which boosted my pride and ego considerably.

Once Inquisition is done, then I'll spend some time working on the short stories I want to submit for the Behind the Mask anthology and getting the final draft polished for Rose on the Grave.  And after that, I have a tough decision to make.

I've been considering having another push at traditional publishing.  But to do that, I need a manuscript that I don't intend to self-publish.  In order to pitch to editors and agents, that needs to be a completed manuscript.  But that would mean delaying writing and publishing book 4 of the lalassu.

It's a tough decision.  Right now, I'm leaning towards giving myself a few months to try and push through a completed manuscript for the first book in a companion series to the lalassu.  But I can't let myself get too distracted from the tasks at hand.  First, complete my obligations, then I can make decisions about what to do next.

No comments:

Post a Comment