Monday 23 September 2019

Weekly Update: September 15-21

Weekly word count: 5936

This was a bit of a challenging week.  Not only was it busy, with a last-minute trip to Calgary over the weekend to see my 95 year old grandmother, but I also had to resist chasing a fan-fiction plot bunny that is ever so shiny and wanting to be caught.  (Killjoys inspired, for the curious.  That show has become one of my favourites.)

But resist I did, leaving aside the lure of writing my own space bounty-hunter adventure until my daily word counts were done.  I find that technique works well.  If I get my thousand words on my WIP, then I get a half-hour or an hour to play in my fan-fiction worlds.  Sadly, those stories will probably never see the light of day, unless I get hired by the various franchises, but fan-fiction was how I started writing.  Telling my own stories in other people's worlds will probably never lose its allure for me.

Things are going to start shifting.  Now that I've had a few weeks since Division was finished, it's time to start getting it ready for the first round of developmental editing.  The plan is to use Red Adept Editing again.  They've done the work on my first four independent novels and they've done a fantastic job.

And the countdown is on for heading out to the writers' retreat in November.  I'm really looking forward to having a nice quiet week to pretend to be a full time author.  Who lives on a beach.  With a dozen other women who are also awesome authors.   Though, if it really was reality, there would be cats (at least two) and a charming, yet sweet, person who would handle our cooking, cleaning, and weird research requests.

Ah well, it may not be my life now, but a girl can dream! 

No comments:

Post a Comment