Monday 15 October 2018

Weekly Update: October 7 to 13

Weekly word count: 5 422

It was a very intense week for me.  On Wednesday, I had a major family crisis.  Luckily, the immediate crisis was dealt with quickly but there's a lot of work that needs to be done in order to make sure it doesn't happen again.  It's likely to take up a lot of my time over the next few months.

Then on Thursday, I signed a contract for a book deal.  While I was at RWA 2018 in July, I pitched my paranormal romantic suspense novel, Deadly Potential, to Soul Mate Publishing and they said yes!  It will probably be at least a year (and more likely two) before the book is released, but I am now officially on the hybrid indie-trad publishing path. 

And then Friday, Saturday and Sunday were Can-Con.  This is the last major conference of the season and I look forward to it.  It's fun, full of people that I care about and who are just as enthusiastic as I am about speculative fiction in all its forms.  I had a lovely dinner on Friday night with the folks from Myth Hawker Travelling Bookstore and then on Saturday night, I closed out the bar with Tanya Huff.  (It sounds wilder than it was, since we were mostly just sitting and chatting, but there was celebratory cheesecake.)  I did some fantastic panels with 'Nathan Burgoine, including a fascinating discussion of urban fantasy (where I got to sit next to Charles de Lint, Evan May and Linda Poitevin) and a high-spirited debate on problematic art.

Now I'm back home, tired and happy.  Next week I have my writers' retreat in Charleston and I am looking forward to a week with some charming and talented ladies and the chance to get some serious writing done.

No comments:

Post a Comment