Thursday 18 October 2018

A Letter from My Future Self

People talk about sending letters to their younger self all the time but let's face it, what we really want is a letter from the future letting us know that everything is going to be okay.

So through the power of wishful thinking and imaginary time travel, I have procured a letter from my future self:

Hey girl,

I remember this part as being one heck of an adventure.  There were days when I thought I was so tired that the idea of making it to the next day seemed ludicrous.  I remember having to juggle all kinds of balls and always worrying about what would happen if I dropped one.

So I'm here to tell you what you need to know right now: you're going to drop the balls and it's not going to shatter the world.  Balls bounce.  And you'll pick them up and keep going.  Because no one expects you to be perfect.

I remember being super excited about all the wonderful opportunities that are on the horizon.  Getting your first publishing contract, that's huge!  And I'm telling you to take the time to enjoy the moment rather than always having your eyes on the to-do list.  I can't tell you how it will all turn out (something about the space-time continuum and the complete implosion of the timeline and universe) but you already know that even when the future isn't everything the past you imagined, it has wonderful things that you never would have guessed.

Things aren't going to go the way you expect.  They never do.  But that's part of the point of life, to explore places we never would have ended up if we hadn't gotten lost along the way.  And some of those places are pretty damn fantastic.

The future has its share of pain ahead.  That's inevitable.  But it also has love and laughter and happy moments.  Because those are inevitable, too.  Don't let one overshadow the other and get out of your head every once in awhile to savour the happy moments.

And most importantly, here are the lotto numbers for next wee--- <<transmission ended>>


Previous post: Heroine Fix: Evey from V for Vendetta

Blog homepage

No comments:

Post a Comment