Monday 16 September 2019

Weekly Update: September 8 to 14

Weekly word count: 3991

This last week was probably one of the more difficult I've experienced.  I don't want to go into details, but I took a lot of emotional hits from different sources.  I'm used to being tired and feeling run down, but this was the first time in a long time that I felt the same way I used to during the short run of time at school when I was getting beaten up on a regular basis.  Remaining still hurt, trying to move hurt, and every hurt brought back waves of pain and humiliation, as well as a despairing certainty that there was no escape.

I wasn't physically hurt this week, but the emotional toll left very physical aches in its wake.

So I did something I rarely do.  I was gentle with myself and gave myself time off, both from my day job and from writing.  I allowed myself some time to heal, with the result that when I went to the library for a few hours of writing on Saturday, I wrote over 2500 words.

I wish this was something I didn't need to force myself to remember.  It would be so much easier if it was a default: I need a break so that I can get back to being productive faster.

But I still end up feeling guilty.  As if feeling bad isn't enough to "earn" a break.  In fact, I probably wouldn't have been able to do it if I hadn't been feeling physical pain along with the emotional stuff.

It's something I need to work on.  Add it to the list.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment