Monday 25 March 2019

Weekly Update: March 17-23

I've been working hard on edits this week, but I'll admit that it hasn't been as productive as it could have been due to some chaos taking place in the publishing world and in my local politics.

This week, the finalists for the RITA awards were announced.  There are a lot of talented writers included in this year's finalists.  Unfortunately, there are also a lot of talented authors who are not included, specifically authors of colour, disabled authors, and LGBTQ+ authors. 

That makes me really sad.  Last year, there was a lot of discussion about judging bias that prevented authors from finaling with some really amazing books.  The RWA Board of Directors has been working really hard to try and make the contest fairer, but it's disappointing to see that their efforts haven't been sufficient.  (And I know the Board shares my disappointment and dismay.)

It makes me even sadder that there are some members who are dismissing this issue and claiming that it's been exaggerated or even completely fabricated.  I really feel for those members of RWA who are part of these affected groups, who are having to face dismissive and ugly rhetoric.  It's not okay and I've been very proud of the Board and those members who have stood up to those making such remarks.  And even prouder of the ones who have taken the time to educate.

I hope that RWA takes the time and effort needed to make sure that future RITA contests truly represent all members and genuinely present the best of the genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment