Monday 26 March 2018

Weekly Update: March 18 to 24

Weekly word count: 4480

Editing: done!  Judgment went off to the editor for line edits on Wednesday.

That means I have a couple of weeks before the next round starts and so I'm back to working on Deadly Potential.  I spent Wednesday re-reading what I had and decided to go in a slightly different direction, plot-wise.  I like what I had and I'll probably still use it (or parts of it) later in the manuscript, but it was pushing things too quickly for the characters.  But it meant that my total word count dropped by almost 12k.

This is how my manuscripts usually go.  At a certain point, I realize the story isn't quite stable and so I prune it back until I'm back on solid ground.  Then I can move forward again.  It's a balance between not getting too far off track and not ending up constantly rewriting the first ten chapters over and over.

I've got three and a half months left before RWA Nationals.  If I can keep up my pace, then I'll be able to pitch Deadly Potential.  

In other news, I got some good news this week.  I'm going to be an official panelist at Ottawa Comic-Con this year, along with my fellow ORWAns Eve Langlais and Lucy Farago, and my friend, 'Nathan Burgoine.  We're going to be talking about the different paths available to those who want to publish.  And I got asked to do a workshop for Ottawa Independent Writers in May.

Lots of balls in the air between now and the summer but luckily my mental juggling skills are much better than my actual hand-eye coordination.   

No comments:

Post a Comment