Monday 21 March 2016

Weekly update: March 13 to 19

Weekly word count: 3100

Technically, this is a fail since I didn't make my 4000 word count.  However, I'm counting it as a partial victory (because I need all the encouragement I can get).  Last week was March Break, which meant a little family vacation to Toronto and then kids home, so I knew writing was going to be challenging.  What I did not expect was to get knocked on my butt with a nasty cold as soon as we got home.

For three days, the only creative impulse I had was whether or not to get a drink of water before collapsing back into bed.  It was bad enough that my husband (who usually believes I have the get-it-done capabilities of Batman) actually stayed home to help me.

Come Saturday morning, I had a zero word count.  Nothing.  Not even a doodle on a piece of paper.

Now usually when this happens, I chalk it up to a bad week and promise myself to do better.  This week, with my 90 day plan in place, I decided that a bad week simply wasn't good enough.  So I dragged my little computer out, planted myself on the couch where I could supervise the child-related chaos, found some nature documentaries on Netflix to distract the kids and got working.

It took me most of the day and there were a lot of interruptions, but I wrote 3100 words.  And while it leaves me 900 words shy of my weekly target, it's still 3100 words closer to completion than I would have been if I hadn't made the effort.  And it was a valuable lesson to me, a reminder not to give up.

This week, the house is quiet and while I already know I will lose two writing days this week due to appointments and other commitments, I am more confident of being able to reach my goals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment