Monday 6 October 2014

Sept 28 to Oct 4

Writing update:

4 chapters revised
65 days until deadline

I had myself an "eek-what-are-you-doing" moment this week.  I didn't actually get into too much detail for the revision notes from my editor while I was away.  And then I got swamped with catching up with my day job.  So I didn't actually didn't sit down and start working on Revelations until Thursday of this week. 

That's when the reality of dealing with over 300 individual suggestions/corrections plus the material in the 30 odd pages of separate notes started to hit me.  To use the word overwhelmed doesn't quite cut it but it's the best the English language has to offer.

I flat out panicked, my paranoia screaming that I was never going to be able to do this, that I was only kidding myself about being a writer. 

Luckily, I am long used to ignoring my inner voice.  Some people are blessed with inner voices that prompt them towards greatness.  Mine has all the desperate charm of a drowning victim.

I took a deep breath and forced myself to do the math.  I had 68 days until the manuscript is due for the next round of editing.  I had 35 chapters to revise plus 5000 to 10000 words in new material to write (not including little bits and incidental phrases thrown in).  That's a lot of work, but not impossible, provided I make myself sit down and do it on a daily basis.  No more weekends off.

I know that over the next two months there will be days when I can't write/revise.  But I'll have to keep them to a minimal impact by working hard when I get the chance.  I'm going through the manuscript chapter by chapter, looking at the individual suggestions/corrections and the individual chapter notes.  Then there are the overall manuscript notes, which I am keeping in mind but will tackle after individual chapter stuff is done.  I'm hoping many of them will be resolved with the chapter work.

This is the first time I've had an outside deadline for my writing.  When I've set deadlines for myself, I haven't met them.  But this time, I'm determined to do it.

In 45 days, I have to make the final decision or else I'll be paying for missing my slot.  By then, I should know whether or not I have a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment