Monday 4 November 2019

Weekly Update: October 27 to Nov 2

Weekly word count: 3376 and chapter 17 of edits

Last week was hectic for me.  Monday to Wednesday was about trying to squeeze in an entire week's worth of work for my day job.  And for Thursday and Friday, I was driving from Ottawa to Charleston with some other lovely ORWA folk for the annual writers' retreat.

This beach retreat is one of the things I look forward to each year.  Not only is it a great chance to get a big leap forward on my writing projects, but it is also a chance to enjoy some extra sun and warmth.  Not to mention, I love being on the beach and being able to sit and write and listen to the waves.  And the ladies there are pretty awesome.  We have a great time, laughing and sharing our favourite new discoveries for books, movies and shows.  (This year, I've been introduced to a Turkish TV show with a main character who could give Jason Momoa a run for his money.)

For this year's retreat, I'm putting my edits on hold and focusing on finishing up a project that's been languishing for too long.  After this last year, I can safely say that I do not do well with split attention between projects.  I need to do one project, then move on to the next.  Or pause a longer project to complete a smaller one.  I can't do two at once, no matter how much I adjust my time and schedule.  So, lesson learned.

I've also decided to start sharing something else in these weekly updates.  I read Tarot cards.  I find it's a useful tool that helps me to consider events and challenges in my life from different perspectives.  Once a week, I draw three cards, one each for past, present, and future.

For the week of October 27 to November 2, I drew The Hermit (patience and isolation), the 6 of Swords (travel), and the 3 of Cups (celebration).  That's a fair representation.  I have been feeling socially and physically isolated, I had a trip planned, and I know it's going to be a fun time once I arrive.

For the week starting on November 3, I drew the Ace of Swords (the beginning of an intellectual project), the 3 of Coins (recognition of talent), and the 10 of Wands (recognizing my limits).  That's a pretty good draw for a professional trip.  My first impression is to remind myself that despite my fears, I am actually pretty good at this writing thing.  But I also can't let myself live in the fantasy land of constant smooth sailing for the writing process.  As much as I would like to believe that I can handle editing, promotion, and all the other details without having my writing speed suffer, that's not going to happen.  And that's okay.

So the key message that I'm taking away is to take advantage of opportunities like the writer's retreat, as well as being on the lookout to create such opportunities in my everyday life.

No comments:

Post a Comment