Monday 12 November 2018

Weekly Update: Nov 4 to 10

Weekly word count: 8 797

Want to hear something funny about how my brain works?  For most of the week, I was actually feeling kind of discouraged about my writing because I'm well below the little line on the graph that tells you when you're making your targets to reach the NaNoWriMo goal.


It doesn't seem to matter that I knew in advance that I wasn't aiming to do 50 000 words.  It doesn't seem to matter that I knew in advance that my goal was to be sustainable, which meant not writing on weekends.  It doesn't even matter that it's still darn good progress.   It's not at the line, and therefore, I couldn't possibly be "doing well."


But you know what, I am doing well.  I have succeeded in exceeding my goal average of 1500 words each weekday.  I wrote nearly nine thousand words last week, which is great.  And more importantly, I'm not exhausted and I still have time on the weekends to do things like plan my social media posts and write my blog entries and remind my children what I look like when my nose isn't stuck in a computer.  By every standard of measurement that I care about, I am succeeding.  Just not according to an arbitrary line on a graph.

I still think NaNoWriMo works for me.  Wanting to meet the arbitrary daily goals has helped to push my butt into the chair and my fingers onto the keyboard far earlier in the day than I would usually manage.  But I have to remember to keep my eye on the greater picture when I'm deciding whether or not I've succeeded.

No comments:

Post a Comment