Monday 18 June 2018

Weekly Update: June 10 to 16

Weekly word count: 10 136

I wish I could get these kinds of word counts all the time, but it really only works because I'm putting almost everything else aside to concentrate solely on getting the manuscript done.  And because this is my third time through the story, so I'm no longer chasing plot bunnies (very often) and I know what needs to be set up and foreshadowed, etc.  

This is the point in most projects where I become desperate to do something else for awhile.  I want to get started on book 5, I want to begin writing totally unrelated series (my Lord of Underhill series has been calling to me of late, and I got a cool idea for a science fiction series).  I want to write the 3rd Spirit Sight short story.  I want to write a prequel for the Lalassu series.  All these stories are just screaming in my head, demanding their fair share of my attention.

This is where the discipline part has to kick in.  (Everyone finds there's a part of the writing process which really tests their self-control, yours may be different but mine kick in toward the end of completing the manuscript and during editing.)  I will finish this book before the deadline so that I have something I can send to any editors or agents who are willing to take a chance on me.

But I also know I'm going to pay for pushing myself.  Which means I have to be gentle and not berate myself when the word counts go down to something more manageable.

On the other hand, I really wish I was earning enough from writing to be able to quit my day job.  When I think of the stories that I could be telling if I had 6 hours a day to write instead of 2... it's a powerful motivator for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment