Monday 12 October 2015

Weekly Update: Oct 4 to 10

Weekly word count: 4100

Made my word count for the first time since before my vacation.  That deserves a happy dance.  It's split half and half between the sequel for Whispers In the Dark and the start of book 3 of the Lalassu.  Joe and Cali are screaming for their story and the words are just flowing out.  I hate to interrupt that, but there are other demands on my time.

I've gotten my developmental edits back from Red Adept and I have until December 9th to get Metamorphosis ready for line editing.  58 days to edit 23 chapters.  One chapter every two days with an extra week for delays and life.  Very do-able but will I be able to also write new material while I do it? I'm gonna see.  I'm setting myself a goal of 3 chapters per week.  If I don't make it, then I need to concentrate on editing rather writing the following week.  I am going to lower my weekly word goal to 2000 rather than 4000 words, though.

I also have Hallowe'en costumes to sew for my two boys.  One wants to be Super Grover 2.0 and the other wants to be Han Solo.  And I have prep work for Can-Con at the end of the month and my workshop on non-verbal communication for ORWA in January.  So there's not going to be a lot of downtime between now and Release Day in February. 

On the good side, despite my trepidation, the developmental edits don't contain any huge "rewrite this whole thing" problems.  The main issues fall into problems with deep point of view, which is something I know I have a challenge with.  I'm a visual person, so I pick up a lot of stuff visually that most people don't.  So I have to remember to explain it and get inside my characters' heads instead of hovering like a camera outside.  The editor did pick out one scene which I already had marked in my head as potential problem, so no news on that front either.

It's a lot to manage but I'm feeling confident I can do it.  (The confidence is unnerving though.  I keep thinking I must have forgotten something.)  I'm hoping that the momentum from Revelations will keep things moving and maybe someday I'll be able to let go of my day job and just concentrate on writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment