Monday 20 February 2017

Weekly Update: February 12 to 17

Weekly word count: 1200

Between getting the final proofreading and formatting done for Inquistion and a flu bug which kicked my butt, my productivity has been low to non-existent.  

It's actually been surprisingly hard to keep my writing levels up over the last few months.  I need to find a way to step things up again.  Hopefully once I get over this flu, I can get things back on track.

I've also been struggling with another decision.  Registration for Prose in the Park, an Ottawa literary festival, is coming up.  Last year, things did not go very well.  The organizers seem to have a disdain for romance in general and we've been stuck with a woman who is both rude and unprofessional.  They treated Deborah Cooke and Eve Langlais with a great deal of disrespect.

But, the organizers are not the fans and it was still a good day of interacting with readers and fans.  I'd like to have the opportunity to do that again.

However, I really don't want to deal with the rude woman again.  And I've seen on the map that there will be only one table for romance, which means a guarantee of dealing with her.  So I've been thinking of registering as a science fiction/fantasy writer instead and being at those tables.  But it feels like I'm turning my back on the romance community and I'm worried it could be interpreted as being ashamed of being a romance writer.

I'm proud of being a romance writer and it bothers me to deny any aspect of that.


No comments:

Post a Comment