Monday 9 November 2015

Weekly Update: Nov 1 to 7

Weekly word count: 0
Editing countdown: 12 of 23 chapters done (2 this week)

Okay, last week was a write-off, in the non-productive sense of the term.  Between Hallowe'en candy sugar crashes and a root canal, I was not in a productive headspace.  This week will hopefully go better.

This is one of those moments where it's very easy to become discouraged and convince myself that I'm crazy to think I can balance writing, the business of being an author and all the other things I have in my life.  (The craziness is undisputed but that doesn't mean I can't do it.)

So I'm reminding myself not to panic and try to rush through this week.  Rushing leads to mistakes and invariably takes longer.  I need to proceed at a steady, maintainable level.  I'm not behind and I'm not in crisis.  This is one of life's regular bumps and so I need to put it in my rearview mirror and concentrate on the road ahead.

I have a month to go before my deadline and I'm past the half-way mark.  That's not a bad place to be.  And if I look back, I did manage to accomplish a fair amount.  I got my books ordered and sent to the RITA contest for Romance Writers of America.  I got the next round of paperwork moving for my IRS challenges.  I ordered a Square so that come the next convention, I can accept credit card payments.  And I spent several hours working out a potential plot problem for Metamorphosis.

It's not everything I hoped to do, but it's nothing to sneer at.

No comments:

Post a Comment