Monday 22 September 2014

September 14-20

Word count: 1500.

Pitiful, it's true.  But life took over as I prepared for a trip next week.  Something had to break and it was unfortunately the writing time.

But I did get a nice surprise this week: the developmental editing notes for Revelations.  It's left me with a  dilemma.  On the one hand, next week, I will be on vacation and I want to give my mind a rest.  On the other hand, I really, really, really want to know what they said.  (Because the mean little voice in my head is saying the story is horrible and the optimistic one is claiming it is more brilliant than Shakespeare.  This is why I need outside opinions, I have too many inside my own head to make sense of them all.)

It's a detailed report, over 30 pages, plus a bunch of notes in the actual manuscript.  My brief skimmings suggest it's mostly tweaking details and perhaps some minor rewriting.  I have a feeling that I'll drive myself crazy if I don't look but I still want my vacation.

I've decided on a compromise.  I printed out the report and I'll bring it with me.  Then if I need a handy excuse for some alone time, I can pull it out.  Gee, Aunt Maureen, I'd love to hear about your hip replacement for the fifth time, but I've got this deadline ... gosh, darn it.

Once I get back, I'll have to take some time off from new writing to work on polishing up Revelations.  I've asked for a December reservation for my line edit.  Hopefully it all comes together nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment