Thursday 23 August 2018

Finding New Authors In Today's Market

I'm a lifelong voracious reader and I know I'm not alone when I say that there is nothing more frustrating than not having something new to read.  There are times that I look around at my shelves and I'm up to date in all the series I'm following and I've already read everything a half dozen times, and my brain is craving new characters, new stories and new approaches.


The challenge is finding new stories that I will enjoy.  There are a few techniques that I use.  I have friends who are also voracious readers and they give me recommendations.  I sometimes try random authors and books (usually through the library or by browsing sales).  But it can be disheartening, weeding through the stuff I don't enjoy to find the real gems among the ordinary stones.

I read quickly and a "bad" story will likely only cost me a few days.  For those who don't read quickly, it can be a huge deal to have the next two or three weeks (or months) devoted to a story they aren't sure they'd enjoy.  But everything seems to be so crowded these days, and authors can end up drowning each other out in their efforts to catch readers' attention.  And readers can get overwhelmed and tune out in self-preservation.

I've decided to start up a new monthly feature: Hidden Diamonds.  There are some amazing authors out there and each month, I'll share one of them with readers.  I'm hoping that readers will be willing to give these authors a chance and that authors will have an opportunity to connect with readers.  I'll be looking for great authors in speculative fiction and romance who write amazing characters and stories.

Hidden Diamonds will be on the last Thursday of every month.  If you know an author who you think would be a great diamond to share with the world, then please let me know at jclewis@pastthemirror.com.  

Happy reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment