Monday 2 October 2017

Weekly Update: Sept 24th to 30th

Writing update: 4300 words

I didn't have a terribly productive week while I was out of town, but thankfully the trip home offered a good opportunity.  I did 3200 words between waiting for the train and the train trip itself, which keeps me on good progress.

I've signed up for Nanorimo.  I haven't participated before since I'm usually editing instead of writing, but I'm excited about being part of it this year.

The Persisting Beyond Margins fundraiser for ALSO was great.  We had a good turn out and the books were all very interesting.  It still makes me sad that people try to shut down things that make them uncomfortable, depriving other people of wonderful stories and opportunities to learn.  Nathan Burgoine made an excellent point that LGBTQ+ people are often particularly vulnerable to this.  Since most queer children are not born into queer families, with parents, aunts and uncles, or grandparents to use as examples, the first time they encounter someone like them is usually in books.  That makes the availability of such books critical to helping them to understand themselves.

I also did my Beyond the Furrowed Brow workshop and despite running over the allotted schedule, I think everyone had a good time.  We had a good turnout and absolutely love the new room in the Ottawa City Archives.  As much as I enjoy Centrepointe, the room at the Archives is prettier and more comfortable.

Now my attention turns to Can-Con and the writers' retreat in Charleston.  I'm very much looking forward to them both.  But I'm also looking forward to the relative quiet of November and December.  

No comments:

Post a Comment